My Challenge

Walking for Nablus.

For the past few years whenever Lent rolls round my sister has challenged me to give up puddings, biscuits, chocolate and most things nice for the duration of Lent with mixed results.  She’s lost lots of weight, me not on ounce!  So this year, I’ve set myself a different challenge based around the Activity for Charity challenge I did a couple of years ago which was to walk 10,000 steps a day.

During the 40 days of Lent I plan to try to walk a minimum of 5,000 steps per day.  Every day that I achieve those 5,000 steps I will put 50p in a pot.  If I manage 7,500 steps I’ll put 75p in the pot and on the rare days I hit 10,000 steps it’ll be £1.00.

Now despite the temptation when Easter Sunday arrives and the challenge is over, I don’t plan to spend a single penny of the money in the pot on myself I will send it to the Bishop of Leicester’s Lent Appeal.

Last year my sister and I travelled to Israel and the West Bank as part of the Leicester Dioceses Pilgrimage and much of what I saw and learnt humbled me. Did you know that 90% of all the fresh water there is used by Israelites whilst the other 10% available for all of the Palestinians is heavily taxed and the supply is inconsistent and many people struggle?  I certainly didn’t.

As a result of that visit the Bishop of Leicester’s Lent Appeal is to raise £5000 which will be used to clean up a well at St. Phillip Church in the town of Nablus to provide a clean and reliable supply of water for the local community. 

With this in mind, I am asking family and friends to help support my challenge by matching all the money I put in my pot when I reach 7,500 or 10,000 steps a day, that’s 25p or 50p per day.  I can guarantee 10,000 steps per day will be a very hard target to achieve; even 5,000 steps will require a determined effort from me.  So if you chose to support my efforts by adding to my little pot of money, I think the most you will be digging into your pockets for will be 25p a day.

Would you consider supporting me?